Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Part #2 The Atonement...







Part two of the Plan of Salvation consists to the very center of the plan of salvation. The event that allows us to repent and allows us to fulfill our purpose, "to prepare to live with God" thus fulfilling the purpose of our Heavenly Father, "to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man." (Moses 1:39) this event makes it all fit together into a truly perfect plan.

This event was discussed in the premortal, back when we lived with Heavenly Father before we came. When Heavenly Father created the plan of salvation he knew we would fall, he knew we would sin and make mistakes and he knew we would die. So he provided us a Savior. His only begotten son Jesus Christ who said yes to the job because of his love for us and his love for his father. 
This event is The atonement. The atonement is key because it satisfies those demands for justice upon those of us who make mistakes. I love the atonement with all my heart. When I decided to serve a mission I decided one of my goals was to understand the atonement more. Well my friends asked and received, I know I can never fully understand the atonement and I still have yet a long way to go, everyday I feel one step closer to understanding and closer to my Savior. 

So what is the Atonement? The atonement is the sacrifice given by Jesus Christ. The atonement does not just include his dying on the cross but also his suffering in the garden if Gethsemane, his sacrifice was sealed when we was resurrected and broke the bands of death. Let's first go to the garden I want to share three accounts in the gospels of this sometimes forgotten but oh so powerful moment. While Christ prayed in the garden that is where he experienced and took upon himself everything you and I have ever felt... 



Matthew:

38 Then saith he unto them, My soul is exceeding sorrowful, even unto death: tarry ye here, and watch with me.
39 And he went a little further, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt. (Matthew 26:38-39)
42 He went away again the second time, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if this cup may not pass away from me, except I drink it, thy will be done.
43 And he came and found them asleep again: for their eyes were heavy.
44 And he left them, and went away again, and prayed the third time, saying the same words. (Matthew 26:42-44)

Mark

35 And he went forward a little, and fell on the ground, and prayed that, if it were possible, the hour might pass from him.
36 And he said, Abba, Father, all things are possible unto thee; take away this cup from me: nevertheless not what I will, but what thou wilt.Mark 14:35-36)

Luke

41 And he was withdrawn from them about a stone’s cast, and kneeled down, and prayed,
42 Saying, Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done.
43 And there appeared an angel unto him from heaven, strengthening him.
44 And being in an agony he prayed more earnestly: and his sweat was as it were great drops of blood falling down to the ground. (Luke 22:41-44)

I think sometimes we forget the what happened in the garden of Gethsemane. That time in the garden was pivotal to the whole life and sacrifice of Jesus Christ. It is said that he bled from every poor at the pain he felt. That is where the true atonement lies, not just in his death. The events of the garden, the death and the resurrection provided a perfect atonement whereby the demands of justice would be satisfied and the bands of death broken.

I think a lot of times I have forgotten that the Atonement was made for more than just sin, sometimes I forget that he does know it all, that he looked into each one of our eyes and into our lives and saw everything we would go through, he felt it all. He knows what it feels like to be in physical and mental pain, he knows the guilt when we have sinned, he knows the loss when someone passes on or leaves... He knows...

He pleads that we come to him, the thing is he made this infinite Atonement it's all there and it's all waiting for us, we just have to receive. Receive, now that is a cool word... Hey and it's an action word too... Like another that I am thinking of.... Oh yah, faith! Both action words when combined with repentance and submission make an awesome act of receiving. It is through faith that we desire to repent and submit to The Lord... Through repentance and submission we receive the blessings of the atonement. 

The atonement is there for us to receive and the more we put our faith into action the more we become like the savior. So I want you to ask yourself if you are using the atonement in your life as much as you should? Are you allowing it to truly change you and heal you? Are you following the example that our wonderful Savior set forth? Are you fulfilling your purpose to prepare to live with God again? 

I testify to you that it does bring healing for all situations. I have felt and seen it. No matter what you are going through right now, no matter how bad it hurts, no matter how guilty you feel. There is someone out there who knows your pain. He knows you perfectly and he knows the comfort you desire. So please turn to him and receive this precious gift, this gift that will lead you to eternal happiness and eternal peace. Receive the atonement of our savior Jesus Christ and I promise you that you will find the joy and peace you desire. 




To be continued...


No comments:

Post a Comment